About this project
TunedIn was a multi-platform application delivering TV and film content to users in real time.
Work on this project started in April 2014 and it took approximately 150 days to complete.
As part of a two person team, I was tasked with creating the TunedIn web application with the following features:
- An interactive TV guide that would allow the users to scrub through a timeline and see what was on TV at that point.
- A detailed program info page with related TV content being displayed alongside the current item.
- A page containing widgets that would allow users to particpate when watching a TV show (polls, multiple choice questions etc).
- Customer registration and sign in flow.
With the above features in mind, it was decided to use the following:
- Meteor was used as the client side framework given its simplicity and fast rendering.
- Less was used as the CSS preprocessor.
- We needed to separate out the server side and client side components, given Meteor was a full stack framework.
- TV guide and user participation data was fetched from a PHP based REST api.
- Grunt was used to build and deploy the project, minifying and concatenating everything and handling icon fonts.
Testing and deployment
The other issue was mostly with major updates. Given that Meteor was quite young at this stage, it was in constant flux so even minor updates would break the site and require some time set aside for refactoring.