About this project
This is the content delivery application for the Irish Times, the paper of record in Ireland.
Work on this project started in December 2012 and it took approximately 60 days to complete. The project can be seen live here.
Our job was to rewrite this application from scratch with the following features:
- Display a list of news articles filtered by category.
- Include embeddable image carousels with pinch and zoom functionality.
- Create the article detail view with embedded commenting, with single sign in from social media platforms.
- Allow articles to be saved for offline viewing.
- Impement tracking with Google Analytics for mobile applications.
- Allow users to adjust settings for font size for accessibility.
- Provide a feedback and support mechanisms.
Project planning and development
Given the issues we had encountered with cross-platform development in the past, we decided to implement this project natively.
The target platform was any device that could run iOS 4.2 and up and we used Cocoapods to handle any third party dependencies.
Content was delivered as HTML encoded inside a JSON feed. We used a webview to render article content, calculating the size when the content had finished loading so we could place the widgets for an article detail view in the correct place.